Monday, November 30, 2009

Holiday Favorites: Grog!


Texas had its first real cold snap last night, and as is family tradition, first freeze means I make Grog. Now, I don't know what people call this drink in other families, this is just what my Uncle Rob always called it. When I was little, and the family would gather for Christmas at my Grandparents' house, Uncle Rob always came ready with the ingredients, and all of the cousins would get to play pirates as we put it all together. Then, we'd take turns sitting on the fold-out stool to roast marshmallows on fondue forks over Meme's electric stove.









YOU WILL NEED:
  • Equal parts unfiltered, unsweetened apple juice and "country style" orange juice
  • 1 cinnamon stick per 2 quarts of liquid
  • 2 stars of anise
  • 1 tsp. whole cloves per 2 quarts of liquid
  • dash of nutmeg
  • dash of allspice
  • one large orange, sliced
  • 1 tbsp brown sugar per 2 quarts liquid
THEN:
In a large stockpot, heat the apple and orange juices until they are just below the point of simmering. You want steam, but not boiling temperatures. Add the anise, cinnamon, and cloves, and steep for 10 minutes, or until the cinnamon sticks become waterlogged. Then, add the nutmeg and allspice. Steep for another 10 minutes, and then turn the heat off. Add orange slices, let it cool to a comfortable drinking temperature, and serve.

I found out in later years that all of the adults laced their grog with copious amounts of rum, brandy, or in my Meme's case, bourbon. I've never tried it, because I refuse to admit that I'm an adult. But if any of you d, let me know how it tastes!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

mmm,yummy. Add a bit of vodka and we call it Chhristmas Wassill - spelling is wrong but sounds right.

Post a Comment

Counter